Many alternatives are available on the market if you’re looking for a diamond engagement ring and want something outside the traditional prong or bezel settings. The bar settings ring is a little-known jeweler’s art that combines the best of two worlds: diamond security and light performance. It also boasts traditional ring design elements with modern flourishes.
Bar Settings Ring
What is bar setting in Jewellery? Which ring setting is strongest? What are they made of, and what materials can they be made out of? Whats the best setting for ring?
To help answer these questions, we’ll first talk about what a bar settings ring is, its different designs, best diamond shapes, its pros and cons, and discuss some tips for buying a good quality bar setting ring.
What is a Bar Setting?
A bar setting is a ring with bar-shaped metal that goes over the center diamond, usually on two sides. The bar is usually platinum or gold and sits across the top of the stone. It is a protective barrier between the wearer’s finger and any other metals that might be present in their jewelry (like silver).
Is a bar setting secure? The bar also adds strength to the ring, which helps prevent it from bending or breaking over time. This ring-setting style uses a single bar to hold the stone in place. The bar is perpendicular to the stone’s girdle, allowing maximum security and light performance while maintaining an understated look.
Bar settings are especially popular with modern engagement rings. Like pavé setting rings, bar settings allow for larger stones and more intricate designs. These bars are made out of metals like white gold, yellow gold, platinum, or palladium and are thin strips that run parallel across the finger, with one on each side of the diamond.
Unlike a tension setting ring that uses compression to hold a diamond, a bar setting’s two ends meet at a point between your fingers where they’re attached to each other using small screws.
You can shape this bar into any design you like, but it typically has two prongs coming off of it for additional security. Bar settings are often used to secure large diamonds because they are very strong and secure.
What are the Best Designs for Bar Settings?
Many designs are possible with a bar settings ring. However, its best designs include those that are the most secure. This is because bars can be very thick and heavy, so they need their weight distributed evenly across each side to prevent them from bending or breaking under pressure.
- A flat bar or a curved bar. A flat bar is simple and clean looking, while a curved bar has a more romantic feel. Depending on your preference, you can also choose between white gold and platinum ring setting.
- A simple, rectangular design. This design is classic and timeless. You can wear it with any outfit or style. It’s also a great choice for eternity bands.
- Oval design. Another great option is an oval shape that sits on the finger instead of underneath it.
- A flat bar worn on the middle finger with a round, oval or marquise stone set in the center. This elegant and timeless design makes it popular among many women today.
- Solitaire setting. This design is a single diamond in a bar setting or one with small diamonds around it.
Bar settings offer simple and classic lines that you can wear in many different styles.
What are the Best Diamond Shapes for Bar Settings?
Many diamond shapes suit many bar settings. The most elegant and stunning are the round, princess, and emerald cuts. These three shapes are popular for their simplicity and elegance, which makes them perfect for a bar setting.
Round diamond bar setting. A round diamond bar setting is an elegant way to showcase a beautiful diamond. The simple lines of the square or rectangular shape make it easy to create a classic look that will last for decades. This style also makes it easy to pair with other jewelry, such as earrings or necklaces.
Princess diamond cut bar setting. The princess cut diamond is a modern take on the traditional round shape. It’s edgier and more angular, which makes it perfect for those who want something different from the norm. This style works well with other geometric shapes like squares or rectangles. Softer lines make this an ideal choice for someone who wants a more feminine look.
Emerald diamond cut bar setting. The emerald cut is a classic style that has been around for many years. It is oval-shaped and features soft lines with rounded edges. This makes it perfect for someone who wants something understated but still stylish. The emerald cut diamond is also the perfect choice if you want to wear more than one ring on your finger.
What are the Advantages of a Bar Setting?
A bar setting is a popular style for engagement rings. This is because of its simple, classic look that’s easy to wear and maintain. It also allows you to showcase your diamond in its full glory without obstructions.
Here are some other reasons why a bar setting might be right for you:
- Easy to clean and maintain: This is important because you want your ring to look great for years to come without unnecessary maintenance costs.
- Bar settings are durable: They can last longer than other types of settings if properly cared for, so you won’t have to worry about replacing them anytime soon. The prongs will hold your diamond securely, preventing it from falling out or getting chipped over time.
- Timeless, simple classic: The bar setting has been around for centuries, so it’s proven its staying power as a timeless design. Bar settings are a good choice if you like the idea of a simple, minimalist design.
- Easy to wear: A bar setting is a discreet way to show off your diamond. It lets you wear your ring daily without worrying about scratching or damaging it. You can choose from different sizes and shapes to find your finger’s perfect fit.
- Hides flaws in the diamond: Since there’s no prong above the stone, any imperfections in its cut are less noticeable. A bar setting can help you get more value out of your diamond by allowing light to pass through it freely (without obstructions).
- Shows its full beauty: It makes the most of your diamond, allowing you to see its complete brilliance. They’re also popular with people who want to show off their sparklers in all their glory.
What are the Disadvantages of a Bar Setting?
Since there’s no perfect ring setting, a bar setting also has drawbacks. Here are the most notable ones:
- Lacks security: A bar setting doesn’t secure the diamond in place as securely as a prong or bezel setting does. This could be an issue if you tend to be rough on your jewelry.
- Can scratch: If you wear your ring every day, there’s always the chance that it will catch on something and get scratched.
- More expensive: It costs more to have a diamond set in a bar than in any other type of setting.
- Harder to repair: If you break or lose your ring, it may be difficult or impossible for jewelers to fix it. If something goes wrong with your ring, you’ll have to send it back to the jeweler for repairs. This could mean losing it for weeks or months—not ideal if you need your diamond every day!
- Limited size: The bar isn’t as wide as a prong, so you can only fit certain sizes of diamonds in them.
- Can make the diamond look smaller: Some people think that a bar setting makes their diamond look too small, so they prefer other styles.
- Some diamonds aren’t well suited to this style: If your diamond has a particularly large crown or table, it may not fit into the narrow prongs of a bar setting.
- You can’t see all sides of your stone: In some cases, only one side of the diamond is visible when designed in a bar setting. This makes it hard to show off the full beauty of your gemstone.
How to Clean a Bar Set Ring?
If you have a bar set ring, it’s important to care for your jewelry properly. This will help keep your diamond looking beautiful for years to come! Here are some tips for cleaning a bar set ring:
- Use warm water and mild soap: Mix one part soap or detergent with 10 parts water. Use this solution on the inside of your ring, and any stones that might be visible when it’s worn. Rinse thoroughly with clean water after scrubbing away any dirt or grime.
- Wash it with a soft cloth: Use warm water and mild soap to gently clean the ring. Be careful not to get any dirt or debris caught between the prongs.
- Rinse with cold water: Rinse away any soap residue from your bar set ring with cold water.
How to Size a Bar Set Ring?
Start by asking the jeweler if they have a ring sizer. If so, take it to them, and they can measure your finger with that tool.
If you don’t have a ring sizer, try using a soft measuring tape or string. Wrap the tape measure/string around your finger at the point where you want it to sit on your finger. Make sure there’s space between the ring and your finger, so it doesn’t feel too tight or loose.
Compare this measurement to the size of your ring guard or a standard sizing chart for women’s rings.
Find a setting that fits. Once you know how wide your ring needs to be, find a bar setting with similar measurements.
If you have a ring guard, place it around your finger and use a marker to mark where it meets. This is the size of your finger. Place the shank on a flat surface and measure its length from end to end with your ruler.
Compare this measurement to the width of the band on your bar set ring. If they are very close, you may not need to have them sized by a jeweler.
Where to Buy a Bar Set Ring?
A study found that 81% have bought their engagement rings in person. Around 18% bought theirs online. If you want to buy a bar set ring, you have several options. You can do so at most jewelry stores or online, whichever you’re comfortable with.
You can check out your local jewelry store and see if they have rings matching your style. If not, they may be able to order one for you.
If you are buying an engagement ring, many say it’s best to do so in person. You may be able to find a similar style of bar set ring at your local store and have it sized by them if need be.
There are jewelers in your local mall who sell them, who specialize in selling jewelry. Some department stores even carry their jewelry line, so if you are looking for something unique and unusual, this may be an option.
You can also buy your ring online from websites like Amazon or eBay. Online retailers offer a wide range of styles and prices so search around before settling on one.
Before making your final decision on whether or not to buy a bar setting ring, it would be best get a full understanding of the ins, outs, and everything in between. Then make an informed decision.
It’s Time to Set the Bar Higher
Bar settings are popular for engagement rings, wedding rings, and eternity bands. The diamonds are secured with vertical metal bars, allowing ample light to pass through the stones. You can choose from various styles with a bar setting, like a tapered baguette engagement ring or a stunning ring with nine diamonds.
Most importantly, a ring’s bar setting will depend on its purpose. Bar setting rings are available in a variety of materials and with a plethora of designs. It’s only up to you to decide which will work best for your special piece of jewelry.
A bar setting ring can be a great choice for someone who has spent time making custom jewelry. But it has some drawbacks that may make it less appealing for casual shopping. Of course, if you are looking for something different from the average ring, it’s definitely an option to consider.
Since you’re probably interested in diamond settings and jewelry in general, you’ll likely love reading our post, “The Diamond Shape: Things You Need to Know.”